Site Specific Social Media Tips
Many social media marketing tips can be pretty well generalized to almost any popular social media site. For example, creating original content, mixing organic and paid content, and even using hashtags are all tips that work just as well on LinkedIn as they do on Twitter or Facebook.
This is due in large part to the fact that most major social networking sites try to emulate each other to a certain degree. If a new feature is wildly successful for Google +, for example, you can bet your bottom dollar that Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. will all add some version of this new feature sooner rather than later.
All that being said, each and every social media site does have its own unique peculiarities, style, and target audiences. Which is why many site-specific social media tips do still apply. In this article, we will discuss a few of the most important strategies you should be using when promoting your business on the five most widely influential social media networks: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Instagram, and Pinterest.
Though alternative social media sites have grown big time in recent years, Facebook is still unquestionably the largest (and most influential) social network on the planet. And because the site boasts an incredible ability to change with the times, the odds are good that this isn’t changing anytime soon. Almost every business out there can benefit from at least some degree of presence on this site. Here are a few tips that can help you optimize your Facebook marketing strategy.
• Always Use Text. Visual content — especially videos — are now far-and-away the most popular content on Facebook, and they tend to receive a disproportionate amount of attention from users of the site. However, this does not mean that you should abandon text-writing altogether. In fact, text is the perfect way of making up for one of video’s biggest shortcomings: according to Digiday, 85% of Facebook videos are played without sound. Creative and consider text above your videos can help to fill in the blanks that will otherwise exist when users view your videos in silence.
• Target Your Competitors to Build a Relevant Audience Fast! When creating a saved audience in Facebook, marketers have quite a few demographic options to chose from, including age, physical location, interests, and more. What you might not know is that you can actually choose your competitors as an interest worth targeting. This will help you find an audience that is already profoundly interested in your industry.
• Beat Facebooks Pay-to-Play Algorithm with Live Videos. As we discussed in this recent Bearly Marketing blog article, Facebook, (and, to a lesser extent, most of its competitors) have adopted a pay-to-play algorithm that makes it difficult for businesses to appear in their followers newsfeeds unless they are paying for advertising space. However, there are ways around this: for example, Facebook is making a huge push to popularize live video on the site. By choosing to stream video on Facebook, you will be able to take advantage of a tremendous boost in your algorithm rankings, garnering an impressive amount of views without paying a single cent in advertising costs!
Once considered nothing more than a novelty in the social media world, Twitter has now become one of the most important stages for entertainment, sports, business, and, yes, even politics. Forcing users to voice their thoughts in a minimal of characters turned out to be the perfect way to channel the internet age´s love of concise communication — and, love it or hate it, Twitter is here to stay. Here are a few tips worth considering when Tweeting:
• Beat the Text limit. Emojis, videos, images, and even text screenshots are all effective and excellently creative ways of beating the restrictive 140 character text limit that is the defining feature of this site.
• Chose Hashtags Wisely. If you really want your tweets to be visible to your target audience, it is important that you choose your hashtag words carefully. Though hashtags should always be catchy, your main consideration should be this: how relevant is this hashtag as a keyword for my business, my products, and my services?
• Cite your sources and spread the love. If you are retweeting someone else, be sure to give them a shoutout! Relationship-building is important on virtually every social network, but it is especially pertinent on Twitter.
Professional networking meets the internet age: this phrase might be a useful way of introducing LinkedIn, but it doesn’t fully capture the versatility that the world’s most popular professional social media site offers. Though this network is particularly important for B2B operations and journeyman professionals, the truth is that the appeal (and utility) of LinkedIn is nearly universal. Here are a few tips that can help anyone hoping to market themselves or their business through LinkedIn.
• Stay up to date. At the very least, you should be keeping your job title, location, industry, and other crucial profile information up to date in case potential employers, partners, clients, etc. check your page! Keeping your account active by posting original content and/or relevant industry content is an added bonus that will set you apart from a large percentage of the competition on this site.
• Use a professional profile pic. LinkedIN is not Facebook! Profile pics that include pets, significant others, friends, etc. are not appropriate for this professional networking site, end of story!
• Write a killer summary. Use keywords, keep it professional, and be concise. Period.
Photos and videos have been the most popular forms of internet content for quite some time — so it is no surprise that the social media site that specializes in visual media is experiencing explosive growth. Here are a few tips for anyone hoping to exploit the tremendous potential that this site offers:
• Use Instagram stories to build a narrative. This blog post from Later.com is one of our favorite guides to creating an effective Instagram story.
• Take your customers behind the scenes. One of the easiest and most interesting ways of creating original content for Instagram? Snap some behind-the scenes videos or pics!
Though original content may be king, curation is still a crucial component of any well-rounded social media marketing campaign. (And curating content that is relevant, entertaining, and eye-catching is more of a challenge than it might seem.) That is why it should come as no surprise that Pinterest, which focuses more on content sharing than content creation, is faring exceptionally well in the modern social media marketing scene!
• Add a Hover Pin Option to Your Photos. This option is so underused and so effective that we are going to make it our only Pinterest tip. If you use this site and are not currently integrating this option, then you owe it to yourself and your business to set up Hover Pins. Click here to find out how.
For more specialized social media advice, visit the Bearly Marketing blog online today or get in touch with our social media staff today!